The present Fleet Methodist Church was opened and dedicated on Saturday 22nd July 1972, marking the culmination of seven years of prayerful planning and fundraising by the congregations of the Reading Road and Fleet Road churches to create a United Methodist Society in Fleet.
The Methodist movement has had a presence in Fleet since 1883, when the first Methodist Chapel was built on Reading Road. The second Wesleyan Church was built several years later on Fleet Road, which was demolished in 1967.
In early 1967, the Reading Road Chapel was extensively renovated and redecorated, being rededicated by Revd. Cyril Wainwright in May 1967.
Meanwhile, sufficient land had been acquired next to the Chapel, including the old Post Office, to draw up plans for a new church, halls and meeting rooms, that would be large enough to meet the needs of a rapidly growing congregation (of over 150 members) and Sunday school. Architects were appointed in 1968 and work began in June 1971.
The new church building was officially opened and dedicated on 22nd July 1972 at a service attended by over 500 people, where the opportunities for effective Christian witness in this new ‘Power House for God’ were focussed on. The Service was followed by a 24 hour prayer vigil. Having cost £50,000 to build, the church had been able to open free of any debt.
Since then, the church has sought to serve the rapidly growing population of Fleet and Church Crookham, maintaining a lively Christian witness with the other churches in town as part of the 'Churches Together' movement.